Monday, December 17, 2018

Brey Genenbacher of Camp Point awarded a University of Illinois Springfield scholarship

Brey Genenbacher, a resident of Camp Point and double major in education and chemistry at the University of Illinois Springfield, has been awarded the Ann. M. and Raymond Pearson Scholarship for the 2018-2019 academic year.

Genenbacher, a legacy whose brother also attended UIS, said she always knew she wanted to be a teacher.

She wasn’t sure what she wanted to teach, however, until her sophomore year in high school when she took a chemistry class.

“It was my favorite class. I looked forward to going every day,” she said. “My chemistry teacher expected a lot out of me, which made me work harder. I soon realized that teaching chemistry was something that I wanted to do with my life.”

Genenbacher says earning the scholarship will help make her a better teacher in the long run. “Less debt will mean I can afford to put more money into my classroom to help my students have the best learning environment possible,” she said.

The Ann M. and Raymond Pearson Capital Scholars Scholarship is awarded to two incoming freshmen participating in the Capital Scholars Honors Program.

For more information on scholarships, contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance at 217/206-6724 or finaid@uis.edu.

For a full list of scholarship opportunities visit www.uis.edu/financialaid/scholarships/. The deadline to apply for institutional scholarships is February 15, 2019.

If you are interested in creating a scholarship, please contact the UIS Office of Advancement at 217/206-6058 or giftinfo@uis.edu.

Post a Comment