Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Nevalah Erving of Chicago receives a $14,000 scholarship from the University of Illinois Springfield

Nevalah Erving of Chicago, a senior at Alcott High School, has been admitted to the University of Illinois Springfield for Fall Semester 2019 and awarded a $14,000 Lincoln Merit Scholarship for tuition over four years. At UIS, she plans to major in biology, with a focus in pre-medicine.

The scholarship is awarded based on GPA and ACT/SAT scores and can be renewed for a total of four years if the student maintains college GPA requirements.

At Alcott High, she is a member of the debate, cross country and basketball teams. She also started a horror movies club and is president of Best Buddies, an organization dedicated to ending discrimination against people with intellectual development disorders. She also served as head of homecoming coordination and attends Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) classes.

“I’m choosing UIS because it feels like home to me,” she said. “From the moment I first heard about it to now, that home feeling has been there. I was born and raised in Chicago, so Springfield isn’t far from my original home. I get to still see family and go to events.”

Following graduation from UIS, Erving plans to attend medical school.

All incoming UIS freshmen are eligible to apply for Lincoln Merit Scholarships. The amount awarded is based upon the incoming student’s ACT or SAT score. To receive $14,000 over four years, students must earn an 18 to a 20 on their ACT or a minimum of 940 SAT and hold a minimum high school GPA of 4.0 or above.

For more information on scholarships, contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance at 217/206-6724 or email finaid@uis.edu. For a full list of scholarship opportunities, visit www.uis.edu/financialaid/scholarships/.

Post a Comment