Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Nicole Cowin of Kilbourne awarded a University of Illinois Springfield scholarship

Nicole Cowin, a resident of Kilbourne and psychology major at the University of Illinois Springfield, has been awarded the James L. Lundquist Memorial Scholarship for the 2018-2019 academic year.

Cowin, who grew up in a small town, said she chose UIS for the size of the campus and student body.

“The University of Illinois Springfield has really helped me find my place and I have made some amazing connections with the staff that will last a lifetime,” she said.

During the summer of 2018, Cowin studied abroad in Japan.

“The opportunity helped broadened my cultural horizon and helped me see the world differently and how others live,” she said.

Cowin is majoring in psychology, and would like to use her degree to help children with disabilities.

She plans to continue her education pursuits with a master’s degree and hopes to someday have her own equine therapy practice.

“I would love to bring my two loves together, helping people and horses,” said Cowin. “It would be my dream career.”

The James L. Lundquist Memorial Scholarship was established to honor former A.G. Edwards vice-president of investments and financial consultant James Lundquist. The scholarship supports students who are studying abroad.

For more information on scholarships, contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance at 217/206-6724 or finaid@uis.edu.

For a full list of scholarship opportunities visit www.uis.edu/financialaid/scholarships/.

The deadline to apply for institutional scholarships is February 15, 2019.

If you are interested in creating a scholarship, please contact the UIS Office of Advancement at 217/206-6058 or giftinfo@uis.edu.

Post a Comment