Monday, December 4, 2017

Christal Loyola of Round Lake Heights awarded a University of Illinois Springfield scholarship

Christal Loyola, a resident of Round Lake Heights and computer science major at the University of Illinois Springfield, has been awarded the Treat Family Women in IT Scholarship for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Loyola said she grew up with a passion for computers and technology.

“What I love the most about technology is it always improves or opens the door for improvement, especially in the field of health care,” she said.

Loyola said she chose UIS’s online computer science degree after learning about it while attending a local community college.

“I feel like my online experience at UIS has been the best educational experience I’ve ever had,” she said.

After graduation, Loyola plans to seek a position as a software engineer, systems analyst or administrator facilitating functionality and efficiency in the field of health care. She also plans to return to UIS’ online program for her master’s degree.

“I’ve never felt as cared for or connected with my teachers and classes like I do as UIS,” she said.

The Treat Family Women in IT Scholarship was established by Shellie Treat and her husband. Shellie Treat is the Assistant Director of Network Services at UIS and oversees the System Support team. Treat says in her IT career there haven’t been many women working alongside her. Treat hopes to close that gap and that this scholarship provides some encouragement.

To qualify for the Treat Family Women in IT Scholarship, female students must be enrolled in the Computer Science Program in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

For more information on scholarships, contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance at 217/206-6724 or finaid@uis.edu.

For a full list of scholarship opportunities visit www.uis.edu/financialaid/scholarships/. The deadline to apply for institutional scholarships is February 15, 2018.

If you are interested in creating a scholarship, please contact the UIS Office of Advancement at 217/206-6058 or giftinfo@uis.edu.

Post a Comment