Thursday, January 9, 2020

Abigail Frohning of Sainte Marie awarded a University of Illinois Springfield scholarship

Abigail Frohning, a resident of Sainte Marie and medical laboratory science major at the University of Illinois Springfield, has been awarded the Central Illinois Community Blood Center Scholarship for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Frohning said a job-shadowing opportunity in high school is what piqued her interested in laboratory science. “I was always interested in science and how things worked and why,” she said. “During that day I looked at real blood samples underneath a microscope, made my own slides and learned how to make cultures. All of these things give technicians an answer.”

Further research into the field and education requirements led her to UIS.

While taking undergraduate classes, Frohning also plans to work as a Medical Laboratory Technician and eventually be involved in research. “I think innovation and learning more about the field in which I work is a very important part of expanding my knowledge and the knowledge of others.”

The Central Illinois Blood Center Scholarship is awarded to a deserving junior or senior student enrolled full time in the Medical Laboratory Science program at UIS. The scholarship is designed to encourage qualified students to pursue careers as blood banking and transfusion medicine technologists.

For more information on scholarships, contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance at 217/206-6724 or finaid@uis.edu. For a full list of scholarship opportunities visit uis.edu/financialaid/scholarships.

The deadline to apply for institutional scholarships is February 15, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment