Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Nicole Barney of Billings, Montana awarded a University of Illinois Springfield scholarship

Nicole Barney, a resident of Billings, Montana and mathematical science and secondary education major at the University of Illinois Springfield, has been awarded the John W. Holtz Memorial Scholarship for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Barney, a business owner and mother of three boys, said she always knew she wanted to be a teacher.

She plans to pursue a career as a middle school math teacher upon her graduation.

“I want to inspire passion for learning in my students that will reach across all disciplines,” she said.

“Math should not be separate from English, history or science. They are all interwoven into the fabric of life. I am not simply teaching multiplication tables, I am teaching students to solve life’s problems.”

Barney said she chose UIS’ online mathematical program because it was a leader in online math degrees.

“Although I’m taking classes online, I feel closely connected to my classmates as well as my professors,” she said.

Barney is on track to graduate in December 2018 and is looking forward to the classroom.

“Teaching is about more than imparting content know
ledge,” she said. “Teachers help students believe in themselves when no one else does.”

The John W. Holtz Memorial Scholarship was established to honor the life of Mr. Holtz, who served as a professor of library instructional services and the Chair of the Library Program Department at UIS. Qualifying students must be an undergraduate who demonstrates a financial need and has an interest in history research and writing projects.

For more information on scholarships, contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance at 217/206-6724 or finaid@uis.edu. For a full list of scholarship opportunities visit www.uis.edu/financialaid/scholarships/.

The deadline to apply for institutional scholarships is February 15, 2018.

If you are interested in creating a scholarship, please contact the UIS Office of Advancement at 217/206-6058 or giftinfo@uis.edu.

Post a Comment